FMC News & Events
This Week in FMC Ice Sports — February 26-March 4, 2018
This week marks the start of the Spring I Programming Session around FMC Ice Sports, along with several big events slated for the week ahead.
DCR Universal Access Program – Fall River
On Wednesday February 28, the DCR Universal Access Program will be hosting an Adaptive Skating & Games Session at Driscoll Arena from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m.
Activities on the ice include obstacle courses, a tower of blocks for building up and crashing down, races, colorful balls and pucks to shoot around, power chair games, and gently competitive hockey matches.
Ice sleds, skate walkers, helmets, ice grippers, and ice skates are available. Admission and equipment are provided free of cost. Pre-registration is required. To sign up call (413) 545-5759 or email email@example.com.
This is Fall River’s final UAP Skate of the Season!
2018 Natick 47th Annual ISI Competition – Natick
Teams from around the country will converge on William Chase Arena this weekend for the annual Natick figure skating competition. Several programs from FMC Ice Sports will be competing, including teams from the Southeast, Metro Boston, and MetroWest.
The event will cover two days – Saturday and Sunday – and is sure to be one of the most competitive ISI competitions this season.
For more information and compete schedule, head over to the Tournament Website.
Marquee Matchups of the Week
– (2) Fitchburg State vs (6) Salem State Men’s Hockey at Wallace Civic Center
Fitchburg State closed out the regular season strong with six consecutive victories, including a 4-3 win at home on Senior Night over Worcester State. The Falcons cruised into the MASCAC Tournament with a 16-6-3 overall record, earning a first-round bye and the right to host a semifinal game on Tuesday against the Vikings. Both teams met three times this season, with Fitchburg State posting a 2-0-1 record. The Falcons posted a pair of 3-2 wins at home and played to a 0-0 tie on the road. Salem State advanced with an upset over (3) Worcester State, 3-2.
Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
– MIAA Boys & Girls Hockey Tournament BEGINS!
It’s playoff time again for the MIAA, with several high school hockey games being hosted at FMC Facilities! Here’s a full list:
- Super 8 Play-In Game 1 at Chelmsford Forum: Arlington vs Pope Francis (6 p.m.)
- Super 8 Play-In Game 2 at Chelmsford Forum: St. John (Shrewsbury) vs St. Mary’s (Lynn) (8 p.m.)
- Boys Division 2 North (at Chelmsford Forum)
- Methuen vs Masconomet (2/27 at 7 p.m.)
- Pentucket vs Lincoln-Sudbury (2/27 at 5 p.m.)
- TBD Quarterfinals (3/2)
- Boys Division 2 South (at Pirelli Veteran’s Arena, Franklin)
- North Attleboro at Medfield (2/28 at 6 p.m.)
- Scituate at Medway (2/28 at 8 p.m.)
- Boys Division 3 South (at Asiaf Arena, Brockton)
- Ashland vs Foxboro (2/26 at 8 p.m.)
- Upper Cape Tech vs Dover-Sherborn (2/26 at 6 p.m.)
- Boys Division 3 Central (at Horgan Arena, Auburn): Westboro at Auburn (2/28 at 6:30 p.m.)
- Boys Division 3A Central
- Fitchburg vs Worcester at Buffone Arena, Worcester (2/28 at 6 p.m.)
- Division 3A Central Semifinal and Final at Wallace Civic Center, Fitchburg
- Girls Division 1
- Peabody/Lynnfield vs St. Mary’s (Lynn) at Connery Rink, Lynn (2/28 at 8 p.m.)
- Belmont vs Franklin at Pirelli Veteran’s Arena, Franklin (2/27 at 7:30 p.m.)
- Mansfield/Oliver Ames vs Plymouth at Armstrong Arena, Plymouth (2/28 at 5:30 p.m.)
- Girls Division 2
- Natick vs TBD at William Chase Arena, Natick (3/2 at 8 p.m.)
- Boys Division 1 North (at Chelmsford Forum, Billerica)
- Reading vs Winchester (2/28 at 6 p.m.)
- Belmont vs Melrose (2/28 at 8 p.m.)
- Boys Division 1 South (at Asiaf Arena, Brockton)
- Natick vs Weymouth (2/28 at 5:30 p.m.)
- Braintree vs Walpole (2/28 at 7:30 p.m.)
You can see all the state playoff brackets HERE.
New England Future Stars Corner
Eight Franchises Hold Tryouts this Week
It’s a busy week of tryouts for New England Future Stars, as eight different franchises will hold their first tryout sessions of the year.
The Marlboro Thunder, Boston Brahmas, North Shore Stingrays, and Blackstone Valley Barons will hold four sessions for the 10U, 12U & 14U teams as well as the Girls U14 team.
The South Middlesex Coyotes, Central Mass Cobras, and Norfolk County Hawks will be holding three sessions for the 10U, 12U & 14U teams. The Natick Chill will be holding just two sessions for the 10U & 12U teams.
Mites Cross-Ice Registration
Brand new this season, registration is NOW OPEN for the Mites Cross-Ice program coming summer 2018. The South Shore Sabercats, Boston Brahmas, and brand new Canton Crusaders will all carry Mites Cross-Ice programs this season.
There is a limited amount of only 60 spots per team, so register now while there’s still space. The program is designed to help Mite-level players develop with the help of experienced coaching and top competition. Spots are filling up fast!